Rajveer Thakur With Love 8 Questions 6 Answers 6 Best Answers 49 Points View Profile Rajveer Thakur Asked: September 16, 20202020-09-16T16:27:38+05:30 2020-09-16T16:27:38+05:30In: UPSC MAINS What is Compensatory Afforestation Fund Bill? How the Compensatory Afforestation Fund Bill continues to ignore the Forest Rights Act (FRA)? gs 3 Share Facebook 1 Answer Recent Rajnish Optimist 145 Questions 255 Answers 237 Best Answers 1k Points View Profile Best Answer Rajnish Optimist 2020-09-17T09:47:53+05:30Added an answer on September 17, 2020 at 9:47 am CAMPA Act: The Bill establishes the National Compensatory Afforestation Fund under the Public Account of India and a State Compensatory Afforestation Fund under the Public Account of each state. These Funds will receive payments for: compensatory afforestation, the net present value of forest (NPV), other project specific payments. The National Fund will receive 10% of these funds, and the State Funds will receive the remaining 90%. These Funds will be primarily spent on afforestation to compensate for the loss of forest cover, regeneration of forest ecosystem, wildlife protection, and infrastructure development. The Bill also establishes the National and State Compensatory Afforestation Fund Management and Planning Authorities to manage the National and State Funds. The Bill establishes the Funds for compensatory afforestation and forest conservation. However, there are several factors (other than the administration of funds) that affect compensatory afforestation and forest conservation. These factors are mentioned below. A 2013 CAG report noted that state forest departments lack the planning and implementation capacity to carry out compensatory afforestation and forest conservation. With the share of funds transferred to states increasing from 10% to 90%, effective utilization of these funds will depend on the capacity of state forest departments. Procuring land for compensatory afforestation is difficult as land is a limited resource, and is required for multiple purposes, such as agriculture, industry, etc. This is compounded by unclear land titles and difficulties in complying with procedures for land use. A High-Level Committee on Environment Laws observed that the quality of forest cover has declined between 1951 and 2014, with poor quality of compensatory afforestation plantations being one of the reasons behind the decline. The Bill delegates the determination of NPV (value of loss of forest ecosystem) to an expert committee constituted by the central government. As NPV constitutes about half of the total funds collected, its computation methodology would be important. 1 Reply Share Share Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on WhatsApp Leave an answerCancel replyYou must login or register to add a new answer.Continue with FacebookContinue with Google Related Questions Describe National Intellectual Property Rights Policy. What are the challenges faced by IMD?